Elder Dan

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Letter 5. " For man looketh on the outer appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart."

So I think I'm on week five and It's still going great! I forgot to say that I was somewhat ill two weeks ago as was my whole district.  Just head colds. But it went away after a couple days so I forgot to tell you and evoke pity.  Evoke? I can't tell if that's the right word...
 
So the language is coming together still and sometimes I spit out certain sentences so fast I blow myself away.  Of course most of those are either gospel related or commonly used day-to-day sentences.  When I try to speak it all the time it takes forever, especially if I want to use the correct grammar.  But I love the Language. And I love learning about the culture.  The more I learn of their past the more i feel for the Romanians.  Sorry if any of you reading this are communist but I really dislike what communism has done to that country. Luckily, through stories from my teachers, it sounds like there is still plenty of culture to be experienced.  Most of it remains in the people but there are still villages, castles, cathedrals, and other monuments of the culture. One thing our teacher's spoke about was English Classes.  When we're in Romania we'll have opportunities to teach english.  There are beginner, intermediate, and advanced classes.  The advanced classes you just have conversations in english. But they use it as a means of getting to know the people and building a bond with them and then of course if anyone is interested we would teach them.  We don't really worry about grammar when teaching, mainly because the average American (myself) uses little or no grammar in their speech.  We try to explain the reason for saying things like "I've got to catch a plane" or when we use "it" for everything. 
 
I will get to play piano in about an hour by the way. I'm pretty excited!
 
On sunday we had another fantastic fireside from Robert P. Swensen.  He spoke on Jesus Christ and Love.  One thing that he emphasized was giving our lives for something or someone.  That is real love.  Marriage, raising a family, teaching, etc. are all ways of giving your life to something/someone. And since Sunday I have been studying love which led to my constant study about Jesus Christ.  He is a very complex man once you get past the basic ministry in the four gospels. I spoke with one of our teachers, Fratele Miles, and after thirty minutes of discussing I had another week or two or ideeas for studying.  I know I didn't spell ideas right. sorry.
 
I was able to get on LDS.org the other day and watch some videos, read some talks, etc. but I was watching some of the Christmas devotional that I believe was from last year and I was blown away by that performance of What Shall We Give?. It's my new favorite song. And audrey and her mom are in one of the videos. They're famous.
 
We have watched in class two incredible talks that just blew my mind.  The first is "the miracle of missionary work" which is an MTC address from Elder Holland and is directed towards missionaries but the other is an MTC address from Elder Bednar about the Holy Ghost and I would highly recommend it to members.  For nonmembers I would recommend going and seeing the Joseph Smith movie.  Not necessarily to investigate the church but just to better understand.  I promise you it will help.  I was able to watch it Sunday night (once again with Elder Swarts and Elder Eve) and even though the version here is a little shorter it's a great portrayal of the beginnings of the church and the life and trials of the prophet.  And no we do not worship Joseph Smith, we worship Jesus Christ.  Sorry this may seem blunt and forward but I just don't have time to be eloquent.
 
Speaking of church history, I would absolutely love if Brother Al Jensen would send me some stories of Porter Rockwell and/or the Prophet Joseph Smith.  I love church history. 
 
Speaking of church history some more, Elder Gerald N. Lund spoke to us last night on Faith.  It was a great presentation on how to exercise faith, learn by faith, and grow your faith.  Faith is hard, that's a fact for me, but very rewarding.  One thing he said that many of you may have heard that doesn't necessarily have to do with faith is "Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from poor judgement"  My advice in regards to that one-liner is learn from your mistakes and poor judgement so that you can gain experience.  Don't continue in the same poor judgement. 
 
Dad Helaman's camp was a tremendous help.  There's all the feedback you need.
 
Me and my companion are getting along.  One thing I really appreciate about him is that even though he is more in shape and ten times better at basketball then me, he never puts me down.  He always compliments me on what I can do.  I still hit a three yesterday with him in my face. 
 
I've been told that I speak too much of Marcellus so I won't mention him in this e-mail. 
 
Mom, thank you for all you helped me with (clothes, luggage, etc.) it's all serving me very well and making the experience better. Dad, thank you for you advice, I love every word of it.
 
A good scripture for anyone to study and apply is 1 Samuel 16:7.  It's something I have to work with every day. 
 
Thank you so much for all of the mail and goodies, I couldn't ask for more.  Thank you for the support and encouragement.  I miss you all and love you but I am enjoying it here and can't wait for Romania. 

No comments:

Post a Comment