Elder Dan

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Week 7: A little out of order but still here. "The ultimate secret to life is: PRAY TO GOD"

To: Kelly Taylor , crystal.noel@mac.com, steve@6taylors.com

Well another week has flown by and it is just about time to be leaving to Romania.  I'm definitely ready to leave although not fully prepared.  But they don't expect us to be.  Much of the learning takes place right in the thick of it.  I'm really enjoying the MTC.  It is incomprehensible how much learning goes on in such a short period of time.  The best part is being able to watch yourself grow.  You don't have to look back ten years and say wow I've learned so much, You can look at your notes from last week and say wow, I have learned sooooooo much.  They've changed the curriculum quite a bit, even since I first arrived.  My district was in the middle of the change and so we've been using a lot of the new curriculum and a little of the old.  I love how they do things here though, I can't imagine going into the field without the experience that I've gained here, however small that may be. 
 
I'm not sure if I already mentioned this but we got a new district that was just five sisters.  That hasn't happened before as far as my teachers know and for the moment I'm acting as their district leader.  The district is doing great.  It's been nice to have such friendly and supportive Elders and Sisters with me as I've been here. 
 
One thing I've been thinking about a lot lately and offering a lot of is prayer.  One of my teachers, Fratele Miles, was in a coaching study with Elder Peterson and I one day (coaching study is just the teacher giving you some guidance or ideas for you study) and he said, "Do you Elders wanna know what the ultimate secret to life is? You might want to sit up for this..."  He simply said, "Pray to God." That's what the scriptures tell us to do over and over in the Bible and the Book of Mormon and I'm sure in other scripture.  It is how we repent, receive answers, help, guidance, strength, give thanks, and express literally anything to God.  It is a way to talk to God.  Knowing what I do now I would be lonely without prayer.  It is readily accessible at anytime and can help with anything.  My prayers are much more sincere now and it's helped tremendously.  I learn a lot when I pray.  One characteristic of the way I pray is gratitude.  I give thanks and usually I end up realizing there's too much and I need to eat or go to bed or get ready for the day etc.  But it's the best.  My advice, pray.
 
I'm excited to be involved in a new culture.  Romania has so many interesting things to offer.  I find it sad that the younger generation cares about english and the American culture.  English is great and useful and all and America has history but there is nothing as rich or fascinating to me as the cultures of Europe and most anywhere else on the globe.  I love the language.  It's not a language that can be used too much once I return but I know that I will be able to use it once I return whether that be for translating, teaching, or just speaking with random Romanians I may find someday.  In case you were wondering there are very few native missionaries from Romania serving in Romania. If they choose to serve they are often called to England, learn English and see a country in better circumstances and then they return to Romania and use the language and insight to help improve their homeland.  There are a couple natives serving there though.  One of our teachers who shows up every once in a while is a native although she has lived here for about eight years.  She's awesome though.  She talks so fast I want to cry but she told me, "Oh don't worry they [Romanians] speak faster." So I'm not worried. The advice I've received is smile and when you realize they're complaining about something nod your head like you can empathize and when they laugh, laugh.  Etc.  Most of the returned-missionaries have said don't even worry about the language, it will just come from be immersed in it.  I'm not worried really, I'm very excited. 
 
We had a Fireside on Sunday night from one of the Administrative brethren here at the MTC. He focused his message on missionary success and gave a fantastic talk.  Many missionaries worry about baptisms.  They want to have them.  He spoke on how that part of missionary work is a gift from God.  We may do all we can and still not have those baptisms but that doesn't make us unsuccessful.  People have their agency and even God respects that.  I just thought that was really interesting.  For me, I would love to baptize but if I don't and I just get to interact with the Romanians and share my beliefs and passions and the Gospel and serve people and show them that they can change for better, for more happiness, for me that's all I want. I had a friend serving in Germany write me the other day and after he joked with me for about a page he said, "Isn't it crazy how we're just doing the same work Jesus did?" It is and it's awesome.  I'm glad I can be a part of it.
 
So I got brownies yesterday, a lot of them...
There aren't that many left. And I feel somewhat sick. 
My weight is representative of politicians and weathermen/women -- inconsistent.
 
Thank you everyone for all of the letters and goodies and support, it means a lot to me. Again please ask me questions so I know what to write!
 
Hey Marcellus.
 
Please pray for Dylan (Elder Swarts). He had an MRI today to see if he either needs a surgery along with a four-week recovery or a surgery with like a four-month recovery. 
 
Another quick thought.  I watched this video on LDS.org with some scientist talking about his beliefs in God and the universe and he quoted Sir Arthur Eddington who said, "The more we learn about the Universe, the less it looks like a great Maching and the more it looks like a Great Thought [A great thought of God]." Just a thought.
 
I'm happy! always tired but happy.  Hope everyone is well.  I love you all!
 
Love,
Elder Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment