Elder Dan

Monday, November 7, 2011

10.10.11 "So I am actually getting transfered to Bucharest to be Mission President.........Just Kidding"

So I'm actually getting transferred to Bucharest to be Mission President.................. Just kidding!! geez. I'm still in Oradea of course which I'm grateful for.  What's crazy is that all of us are staying except for Elder Bennett.  This will be Elder Barney's 5th transfer in Oradea! We didn't expect that.  And he and I both know there will be hard times in this next transfer but at the same time I am SOOO excited to continue working with him here because of our relationships (especially his) with everyone and how close we are to achieving a couple important things. But it's gonna be awesome and Elder McCombs is coming here from Timisoara who I was friends with in the MTC.  I'm excited for that.  So there will still be five here in Oradea which is very unexpected as well.  But it'll be awesome. 

Couple things, Mom, are robbieirion@gmail.com and alex.jepsen@gmail.com on the mailing list? Because if so I don't want to keep giving them a second e-mail.  Just let me know.  Next.... I know what the church said about Garrett Robison's address but I need to know if anyone has his mission home address.  Because I'm not going to send a letter to Salt Lake to go to Togo.  Also, if you can find Mitchell Hill's address (real first name is Brett).  What else.  I did get to watch a few conference talks and all that I saw was fantastic! Except I'm really sad about Elder Hales's and President Packer's health.  Jenny and Jordan, Matthew and Audrey, listen to Elder Anderson's talk.... Need I say more? I'd better be an uncle by the time I get home. 

Alright so In all honesty this week was really, really hard.  We got "bunged" or whatever you want to call it about five times a day.  People would tell us somewhere to meet at a certain time and then change the time or just cancel.  It happened a lot.  And I think a lot of it was due to our efforts and so I can't blame anything/anyone.  A few people just stopped accepting our phone calls all of the sudden when they were in the middle of substantial progression.  There are all sorts of reason's too.  People are incredibly busy, weirded out, scared, disinterested, or they hear crazy stuff about us and don't trust us anymore... That happens.  But I still manage to meet the coolest people everyday.  Like the other day I just met this guy on a bench and helped him to understand who we are.  He had heard all these crazy things about us and wanted to know who we really are and it was an awesome opportunity to do so.  I ended up explaining the history of the Book of Mormon and all sorts of stuff because he really wanted to know.  They don't usually want to listen that long.  But it was nice.  I asked questions about his religion.  That's one of my favorite things to do.  Is to learn about all the awesome religions here and to show these people we aren't here to convince or be forceful/demanding calls to repentance.  It blows their minds.  A lot of people really respect that.  We labor here and across the world that "perhaps we might bring a few to the knowledge of the truth."

One thing I try so hard to emphasize with people here is that we are here to serve.  Like with anything.  People just don't get it.  There could be an elderly man lifting huge amounts of wood or something and although it's apparent he could use help and has a long day ahead, he'll refuse help.  I've offered help to so many this last week and I'll ask them a minimum of three times to be sure.... Third time is not the charm.  I've resolved that next time I'm just gonna start lifting or carrying or participating in whatever it is and hopefully they won't react negatively.  Maybe they just think we're gonna steal all their stuff.  It's possible, I am a pretty shady looking guy.  Which is why I'm getting a haircut today, it's getting quite long.

We are working so hard with our less-actives....Yesterday we stopped by the Tutor's after church and Fratele Tutor explained the reasons he hasn't come back yet.  He also showed us for about forty five minutes all the church records and documents he has.  We saw maybe a tenth or less of all of the things he has.  All from the callings he held and whatnot.  He is the first person baptized here in Oradea that's still alive. It's hard for me to understand how he can have so much of God's work in front of him and not let that drive his desire for more through the roof. Anyways, right now we have an investigator, Emil, who is praying about a baptismal date.  He doesn't have confidence in his strength, specifically his ability to live the covenants made at baptism.  He is too humble.  And yes that is possible.  I love him so much, I love all the people here.  It's a huge blessing.  I love so much about Romania and I'm constantly grateful to be here.  Even all the little things.  The food, the suc, the birds, the architecture, the language, the colloquialisms, the traditions, the weather, etc. 

Speaking of weather -- Friday, hot.  Saturday, cold.  And I don't think it's going to get warm again until spring.  It just happened so fast.  Anyways.  I may be a little homesick but that's what happens when you've got the best family ever right? and everyone else I had back home.  I love you all! But I'm doing great and having the time of my life (here on earth).  Know that I love cheesy missionary jokes.  What else.  I love the hymns, they inspire me and literally warm me up.  Literally... It's weird but they do.  I just get filled with vigor.  Study those lyrics sometime.  They're scripture and really poetic scripture.  How is everyone? Relatives? Friends? The Neighborhood? I love hearing about it all.  Also tell me stories about your missions! and any advice. I'd love it.

Thank you for your long e-mails, I cherish them :)
It's also good to hear that Taylor finally got engaged.  

I'm doing great, hope everyone else is too. 
Love,
Elder Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment