Elder Dan

Monday, November 7, 2011

10.17.11 When we asked Mary Anne to stop smoking she said in 90% Romainian 10% Enlglish "Danny,I do what I want. But I'll do it."

So I'm going to buy a coat today and I checked my account, I'll have plenty.  Sorry the exchange rate isn't as great right now.  But I'll get that taken care of and hopefully not freeze before. 

This week was a lot better.  We're still recovering from the week before but we feel like we made some huge progress.  Yesterday there were four less-actives at church.  One is a nineteen year old hungaryian/turkish/romanian kid we've been working with for about a month, Andras.  He came for the first time in a few years and participated like he'd never been gone.  Hopefully he felt the spirit of the service and has a greater desire to be there weekly.  Fratele Dejeu was another man there.  If he doesn't work, he comes but yesterday was awesome because he was able to pass the sacrament and in Elder Barney's six plus months here he's never seen that.  Elder Barney wasn't there unfortunately because he was sick. Another was Sora Carolina who came back a couple weeks ago on her own accord and this week brought another less-active sister with her AND referred us her son who she really wants to bring back.  I love working with less-actives. 

Since Elder Barney wasn't there I filled in at Branch Council and it was intense, but this branch is awesome.  They want to know everything about each person we work with and how they can help or give suggestions regarding what we might do.  When somebody comes to church, less-active or investigator, they treat them like gold.  Everyone participates in meetings, gives talks, has callings, etc.  We don't give talks because the branch, even though it is so small, wants to give everyone chances to learn and teach and speak and as missionaries we couldn't ask for it better.  Yes most have several callings, we need more members to return and accept callings.  But they are strong, hardworking members here.  We just help out being everyone's friend, participating in Sunday School and Priesthood, and trying to offer service or anything.  And I play the keyboard. Which funny enough is just as stressful as playing the organ.  I have no idea why. 

We finally got into contact with Mary Anne again, she called us out of the blue to apologize and explain their situation although it was a very vague explanation.  They had been in their apartment one day and the next had moved across town to a smaller one and I'm sure it's for financial reasons but she didn't really want to say.  So we were able to visit with her Friday.  We had been toying with the idea of asking her not to smoke with us there but been afraid to be so bold.  I don't like to ask people to change on my behalf, especially within the confines of their apartment/home.  But as we sat there getting ready to begin I was just filled with something and had to ask her because it didn't really matter.  If she got offended then it would show us that she isn't ready to change at all.  And if it went well then cool! And she was hilarious about it.  She said in 90% romanian 10% english, "Danny, I do what I want.  But I'll do it."  We promised her the Spirit could be there and would be if she took this really kind of big step to show to the Lord that she cared about this message.  So when here kids came in with the ash trays, cigarettes and lighter she just put them away and her kids were really confused.  She just told them, "No, no look the boys are here." So that was cool.  It was by far our best lesson with her and the Spirit was there.  She committed to begin reading in the Book of Mormon.  They're having a lot of financial difficulties right now though so I hope they continue to be around us.  We'll see. 

Emil and Gabi have been ridiculously busy this week.  We have been trying to find a job for Emil that would allow him to be active and committed.  That is his biggest fear.  And we've found one and we'll meet with him today or tomorrow and tell him about it.  But we continue to hope that they can see how awesome baptism is.  And how simple it is.  We also began teaching the Branch President's son who will probably be baptized next month.  It's great for me and Elder Barney to work on teaching simply and the true basics of this beautiful doctrine.  I would normally say sick doctrine but I'm not sure if that would be received well.  Speaking of this doctrine, I started reading in Our Search For Happiness.  That book is small and it is for anybody and everybody.  It's awesome and explains our basic doctrines and why we are the way we are.  Why we do what we do. 

Christmas Package! chocolate chocolate chocolate.... Just kidding I can get that here.  Piano sheet music would be cool.  Anything, church, classical, or other uplifting stuff.  Also did Steve Jobs really die???? Sad.

Elder Barney and I have begun to find similarities in the scriptures to our work and lives and it's amazing.  Alma taught to needs.  He goes to all these different cities and even though he teaches the same principles, he focuses more on certain parts than others considering the city's needs.  Ammon read from the scriptures with his investigators.  Philip helped a man to understand the scriptures.  Also he baptized a guy by immersion and then others came and gave the Holy Ghost.  Interesting...

One thing I really like about Romania is it is a result of Christ's apostles.  Jesus knew that there would be an apostasy but He still sent the apostles out to preach and baptize so that Christianity might spread.  I can knock on almost any door here in Romania in 2011 and that person who answers will already have a faith in Christ.  That's incredible. It's also cool to look at the other inspired men God worked through to prepare things for the Restoration.  Go read Our Search For Happiness!

Anyways, I'm doing great and so grateful that I'm here doing the crazy things I'm doing.  I love this work and Elder Barney and I are just wanted advice, we want to improve and see miracles here.  Hope you're all wonderful, thanks for the e-mails and support!

Love,
Elder Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment