Elder Dan

Monday, November 7, 2011

11.7.11 "The little old lady was constantly thanking us and puping us."

Wow!!!! So I'm in Arad right now....... sorry the e-mail's late.  We had a zone P-day today so we took a train down to Arad and saw some awesome churches and then went to these cool little ruins of a castle at Lipova.  Really fun day until we got on the wrong train back to Oradea and caught a train back here and now here we are scrambling to put out an e-mail. 

I'm not too happy about all these neighborhood changes but that's AWESOME that you have a baptism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This week has been pretty tough again but it had some wonderful moments as well.  After I e-mailed you guys last monday, Elder Barney and I went to the Cetate which pretty much was the ruins of an old fort but it was really cool and due to all the trees and changing leaves it was sooooooooo beautiful. In the middle there are all these dorm-like buildings with all sorts of ivy and bushes and trees and it reminded me of Harvard but cooler.  Down with Harvard.  And then I convinced Elder Barney that the insides of theatre houses are something to see.  So we went in and the security guard seemed annoyed that he had to take us around but within five minutes we got on his good side and he pulled us close and said, "come back later..." So, skeptically we came back later.  Later meant that it was really closed but he had to be there 24/7 and was looking for some friends and he turned on all the lights and took us on a real tour -- a tour you can't normally get.  It was awesome and it blew Elder Barney's mind that even in a little place like Oradea, Romania, some civilization still put loads of time and money (and continue to) into the little, underused theatre. 

Does anyone know where Ryan Waite is or what he is doing? Also update me on Jace Chidester, Jacob Reinhold, Tyler Moser, Zac Deboer, everyone!

A couple days ago Elder Barney and I had a day that was relatively open.  We had set a massive goal of people that we would contact.  No we didn't reach the goal but it was an awesome day just constantly talking to everyone about the gospel and spreading something pleasant. I saw an older lady really struggling to make it up a sloped walk with some groceries so we offered to help and spent the next forty five minutes walking probably a block (really struggling) and then up way too many stairs to her apartment.  The old ladies (babas) here are so nice (usually) and they just put you in way better moods.  She was constantly thanking us and blessing us and puping us (the little kisses on the sides of the cheeks, often just vocally expressed, "I pup you!").  Once we got to her apartment she showed us a bunch of photos of her daughter, asked for all of our pliants (little informative booklets/brochures/whatever) and kissed our cheeks a million times and hugged us. 
One Romanianism is blessings.  When you part ways with someone or even mid-conversation people just spit out tons of blessings.  Examples: health, luck, many more years, may the Lord help you, may the Lord bless you, may they live to you, a wonderful evening, etc.  Another thing here, and sorry if I've already mentioned this, but fishing poles here are fifteen feet long and I saw one yesterday that I swear was over twenty.  They're huge!!! And these old guys line the little river and fish all day.  All they ever pull our are these tiny little fish and they just slip them into a giant water bottle and when they feel like goin' home or they run out of cigarettes/beer they pack up and bike on home.  Retirement at its best. Also, I smelt chlorine the other day and I really enjoyed it.  It's been  a long time since I've smelt chlorine.

Wednesday I went on exchanges again, this time I was with Elder Eckersley and Elder Casangiu.  We had a several lessons that day but they really are having some incredible investigators fall into their path.  That night I was lucky to be present when their Indian investigator, Bridges, accepted the commitment to be baptized.  I also take credit for that because I made Elder Casangiu go contact him a few weeks earlier (really because I was annoyed of Elder Casangiu).  After English Classes, we share a spiritual thought and in theirs, a girl just stood up in the middle of it and promised she'd be at our church Sunday.  They taught her on Friday and she now wants to be baptized as well. 

On our big old day of contacting, I was really getting discouraged after about a million disinterested people.  I contacted that "one last person" and he set up with me for the next day.  When I asked if he'd like to meet and he said, "why not?" I almost started crying.... Not because I'm sensitive beyond my years but because I didn't believe it.  It was too much for me too handle.  I expressed major gratitude to God right then and there and throughout the day.  It didn't even discourage me when the guy didn't show up the next day because I was still just so glad that God had helped me set up with him.  Later that day, Elder Barney points to a family on the street and does his usual, "They want to know about the gospel" and so I went and contacted them.  They were humble.  And that is the key.  In all my studies I am always brought back to humility.  They were a poorer gypsy family and I don't have time to explain the gypsy class system but they were the perfect kind of gypsies to contact and hopefully teach.  They set up with us for Sunday night.  Elder Barney and I went over and had a wonderful experience.  First off, it was my first time teaching a family and I absolutely loved it.  Second off, the lesson went really well.  The husband wasn't there unfortunately but part way through, her sister came over with her husband and child and they all listened so intently.  They all accepted commitments to read, all set up for return appointments, all want to come to church, and all insisted that they have people they want to refer us to.  After the lesson Elder Barney and I were talking all fast and excitedly about it and he made the statement, "The Spirit was there" and I felt the Spirit confirm that his statement was indeed truth.  I don't feel it that strong often but what a great night that was.  A lot of times when I can't turn to my companion, I just look towards the sky and really pour myself out to God (via heart).  I can always turn to Him and it's the BEST!

I also am falling in love with the Area Book.  Even though many of the records are impossible to decrypt and often don't have the best information, the phone numbers and addresses are priceless.  I made several calls one day while Elder Barney ate or something and I set up with two people right then and there.  One was an awesome lady, Nicoletta Marchis.  She has an awesome son, Nicusor (Nicolas) who's eleven and reminds me a lot of Colby Selman.  Colby Selman's awesome.  Anyways we had a great time getting to know her and her religious and family background.  She's divorced and reallly having a tough time enjoying life here in Romania.  She expressed frustrations with many things and I know the message of the Restoration will be great for her to hear.  We only had a little bit of time with her unfortunately due to stuff (pardon my vagueness) but pray for her and everyone in the world. 

There are many times throughout the day when I believe I'm in those little towns/villages of Guatemala.  This place is so awesome and has so much potential.  But in a lot of senses it's primitive.  I love it though. 

Also, I can't send any pictures but you'll get lots next week I promise! I took a million today.  and this last week.  Romania is so beautiful in fall and this last week was definitely the prime for photos.  Speaking of which, how are the Colliers?

Hope you're all doing fantastic I'm doin' well and hope to get on the correct train in the next half hour or so.  I love you!

Love,
Elder Taylor

p.s. temperatures are perfect right now.  Not sweating.  Not sniffling.  and yes I will get a conference edition ensign in the language of my fathers.  No need to worry. 

p.p.s. Kevin's still not here.

No comments:

Post a Comment